He would have been as surprised as everyone else that the title, seemingly a foregone conclusion for months, was rubber-stamped in such strange circumstances. The England midfielder's effort lacked venom, though, and was parried to safety by David de Gea.
Jesse Lingard came on for Herrera at half-time and immediately saw an attempt blocked - but the hosts continued to struggle for coherence.
Rodriguez denied what he described as a "false allegation" and requested a personal hearing, which took place at the Wembley headquarters of the FA, English football's governing body on Wednesday.
But after Sunday's post-match tweet, United fans will be celebrating if and when the Baggies' relegation is confirmed.
Ben Foster comfortably stopped a hopeful long-range Paul Pogba attempt and raced off his line to thwart former West Brom team-mate Romelu Lukaku, but the ex-United goalkeeper was fortunate not to be facing a penalty in the 18th minute.
Pep Guardiola said he wouldn't be watching today's clash at Old Trafford, preferring to spend his afternoon on the golf course.
"JR performed the waving gesture as I was turning towards the referee to report the comments I had already heard JR say when he pinched his nose".
He has, however, rediscovered his best form in 2018, with the target found 11 times since the turn of the year.
"In retrospect, I realise that was childish and inappropriate, but I just wanted to close down the encounter".
"I had seen the gesture before". I don't know - let's see what happens. He snubbed an opportunity to join the west London club and made a switch to Old Trafford last summer.
United midfielder Nemanja Matic had headed a corner across his own goal area and Rodriguez reacted quickly to nod home the winner.
But even they never looked like throwing away the a title that has been deserved ever since they drew with Everton at the end of August when Manchester United were still level with them. The FA reported Atkinson as saying Bong "did not appear upset or angry, just certain and insistent about what had happened".
- Diputados repudiaron la intervención al PJ
- Hoy se prevén tormentas fuertes y mucho calor en estos estados
- Argentina "condena al uso de armas químicas en Siria"
- Porteños preocupados por un fuerte olor a gas
- Más de 500 mil de guatemaltecos eligen sobre diferendo territorial con Belice
- Rusia exige poner fin al torpedeo del proceso de paz en Siria
- Perú enfrentará a Holanda y Alemania después del Mundial de Rusia
- Trump says 'I fight back' in Russia probe — The Latest
- Kremlin spokesman warns against Syria strike — The Latest
- Fuga en ducto por toma clandestina