Photos of the mosque after the explosion emerged on social media sites showing the damaged building with smashed doors and windows, and blood staining parts of the floor.
A mosque bombing in Libya's second city of Benghazi has killed one person and wounded more than 62 people, the city's hospital has said. The country has been since split between rival governments in the east and the west, each backed by an array of militias.
"The explosion was carried out by explosives bags placed inside the mosque", Zwai added, noting that "the bombing was carried out remotely, according to preliminary investigations". No group has claimed responsibility, but the blasts have been blamed on Islamist militants.
Later, the United Nations Support Mission in Libya condemned the attack in a statement.
"This heinous act should not provide a justification for revenge attacks".
Benghazi, the country's second largest city, is controlled by the Libyan National Army (LNA), the dominant force in eastern Libya led by commander Khalifa Haftar.
Two weeks ago, around 35 people were killed by a twin bombing at another mosque in Benghazi.
In past months there have been occasional, smaller scale bombings apparently targeting LNA allies or supporters.
The UN-backed unity government based in the capital has struggled to assert its authority outside western Libya.
The U.N. has been trying to mediate for years, hoping elections can help stabilise Libya.
The toll was one of the highest from a single attack since Libya slid into turmoil after the uprising that toppled Muammar Gaddafi in 2011.
- Yu Darvish pacta con los Cachorros de Chicago
- Telefónica lanza su canal "Movistar Series" en América Latina
- Frente frío 28 provocará lluvias y viento en NL y Tamaulipas
- Un perro casi incendia casa por intentar robar panqueques
- Ventana de transferencia de enero: Real Madrid y Barcelona
- Layún tiene minutos en la victoria del Sevilla sobre el Girona
- Aprobación de PPK sigue cayendo y llega a 19% — Ipsos
- Sede de Colombia y sus rivales en Rusia 2018
- La historia real detrás de Molly’s Game
- San Luis le arrebató un empate a Huachipato en Talcahuano