After Trump's upset win over Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton in November 2016, several well-respected news outlets and government agencies came forward to confirm that Russia hacked into the Democratic National Committee, and did so with the end game of getting the former host of "The Apprentice" into office. "We hope now that Americans are one step closer to knowing the facts about these memos, which were written and leaked for pernicious purposes to target a sitting president with a criminal investigation", Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said in a statement. CNN, along with USA Today, The Daily Caller and advocacy groups Judicial Watch and Freedom Watch are all part of the case to release the memos to the public.
"It's rather heartening that Judge Boasberg has chosen to review the Comey memoranda himself, instead of just relying upon the descriptions in the agency affidavits".
The second document is a letter from McCabe to FBI staff, sent on May 12 after what he described as a "tough week" of adjusting to Comey's absence. "Given the significant public interest value inherent in these documents, the Government's arguments against disclosure of them at all should be addressed with utmost caution", Bradley Moss, who is representing USA Today in the case, told CNN. "Please stay focused on the mission, keep doing great work, be good to each other and we will get through this together", he said.
Since that time, an investigation has been set up to dig deeper into the role Russia played in the election as well as whether or not they acted in collusion with the Trump campaign.
After Comey's testimony in June, Trump accused him of being a "leaker".
Comey admitted during congressional testimony last summer that he gave the memos to a friend, Columbia Law Professor Daniel Richman, to leak to the media.
Comey has said he turned over his copies of the memos to the special counsel. The New York Times published a report about the memo on May 16, 2017.
Comments that contain spam, advertising, vulgarity, threats of violence, racism, anti-Semitism, or personal or abusive attacks on other users may be removed and result in a ban. Special Counsel Robert Mueller was appointed the following day.
- Ministro ecuatoriano justifica uso de $300 millones destinados a reconstrucción tras sismo
- Falsa alerta de misil balístico a Hawái causa pánico en residentes
- Agustina Kämpfer saldría con un asesor de Daniel Scioli
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic podría romper contrato con el Manchester United
- Dos muertos al caer un rayo sobre una carpa en un camping
- La historia real detrás de Molly’s Game
- Así se veía Pedro Sola cuando era joven
- Man United boss Jose Mourinho discusses feud with Antonio Conte
- Un video podría darle un giro al caso — Caso Genaro Fortunato
- Ventana de transferencia de enero: Real Madrid y Barcelona