As the battery overheated, smoke began to emerge from the device, forcing customers to evacuate the premises.
The man was trying to fix the phone in an Apple Store on Bahnhofstrasse street in Zurich when the overheated battery exploded. Police, fire services, and an ambulance were called in to investigate and tend to victims.
Now, an out-of-warranty iPhone battery costs $50 less - $29 instead of original price $79 - for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, starting in January and available worldwide through December 2018.
"At the same time, there was a slight build-up of smoke, which led to around 50 customers and employees having to leave the business temporarily", a police statement said. "The staff responded well and correctly. It sprinkled quartz sand over the overheated battery so that the smoke could be contained and sucked out after switching on the ventilation", Reuters cited Switzerland local police statement.
According to police, forensic specialists from the Zurich Forensic Institute were examining the cause of the problem.
- Carlos Tévez, en Boca: "Tengo muchas ganas de estar acá"
- Trump on Oprah: 'I don't think she's going to run'
- Dakar 2018: el "Coyote" festejó en camiones
- Cuatro muertos y un herido en la autopista México-Tuxpan
- Apple Store Evacuated After iPhone Battery Overheats, Filling Store With Smoke
- Tottenham and Real Madrid 'in advanced negotiations' over Harry Kane
- Presidente de Colombia realza disminución de tasa de homicidios
- 15% de axtlenses no podrían votar: Anunció el INE
- La contundente respuesta de Redrado a Luciana Salazar por su beba
- Trump Administration Won't Allow Offshore Drilling Near Florida