The Football Association has confirmed it will begin making enquiries into an allegation made to referee Bobby Madley, after Roberto Firmino and Mason Holgate clashed during the Merseyside derby on Friday.
Both managers refused to be drawn on the incident, but a Liverpool spokesperson did comment after the match, saying: "The club and player will fully co-operate with the relevant authorities to ensure the facts are established in a thorough manner if deemed necessary or requested". "I am here to talk about football not controversial incidents, because football is my life and anything outside the game has to be dealt with by the authorities". Holgate had to be restrained by several team-mates and appeared to complain to the referee, Robert Madley, that a racist term had been used.
Asked whether he has spoken to Holgate, Allardyce added: "I wouldn't tell anybody in this press conference because it is not about that for me".
But while VVD's dream debut made all of the headlines, there's one incident in the first-half that everyone is talking about.
Everton defender Holgate shoved Liverpool forward Firmino into the stands during the home side's 2-1 win at Anfield, sparking ugly scenes as the two squared up to each other.
Firmino was not asked to give a statement after the match.
The entire incident will be recorded in the referee's official match report, with a probe likely to follow from English football's governing body.
Virgil van Dijk's 84th minute header proved the winner on the night.
Liverpool said that they would assist the FA with their inquiry.
"In the end there was no foul, no yellow card, nothing".
"Playing at Anfield for Liverpool is a dream for every player". I didn't get it. It was a throw in. "It was really dangerous and usually players don't do that. I got information that something obviously happened, but I can't say anything about it".
- ¡Este es el gran desafío musical que enfrentará Augusto Schuster en febrero!
- Por las nubes precios de los artículos de la canasta básica
- Chelsea hará una oferta que Vidal no podrá rechazar
- Mauro Guevgeozian ya es jugador de Belgrano
- "Game of Thrones" regresará a la pantalla hasta el 2019
- INE podría dejar fuera comicios a independientes y precandidatos
- Intel says it's fixing security vulnerability in its chips
- Moon y Trump retrasarán los ejercicios militares hasta después de las Olimpiadas
- Malasia reanudará la búsqueda oficial del desaparecido vuelo MH370
- Switch becomes fastest-selling console in US history, according to Nintendo