Evacuations were ordered along Rye Canyon Loop, and a mandatory evacuation order was issued for the Westridge housing community.
Less than two hours later, it had spread to 5,000 acres, according to the Los Angeles County Fire Department. Rye Canyon Loop was also closed, along with state Route 126 from Copperhill Drive to the Golden State Freeway.
No schools in the Sulphur Springs Union School District, Castaic Union School District, Newhall School District and William S. Hart Union High School District were experiencing closures as of noon Tuesday.
The freeway was closed at the 126 Freeway as a safety precaution, but was reopened about 2 p.m. The red dots are the most recent, detected at 12:40 a.m. PST December 6, 2017.
The fire could reach the Simi Valley area due to heavy winds, the Simi Valley Police Department said in a statement.
Share this article: Smoke from the Rye Fire near Santa Clarita.
Chaminade's girls soccer match with Santa Barbara was also cancelled while Notre Dame, Burbank, Santa Clarita Christian and Moorpark were among schools that cancelled all outdoor sporting events.
The FEMA Regional Administrator determined the Creek Fire threatened such destruction as would constitute a major disaster. Thousands of acres have been scorched and thousands of homes have been evacuated. He added that the firefighters have a "really good" perimeter surrounding the fire and they hope to have a good handle on it.
- Lo que promete Aaron Boone como manager de New York Yankees
- Imputados ocho efectivos por asesinato de Nahuel en Argentina
- Papa Francisco sustituye al cardenal mexicano Norberto Rivera
- Atlético de Madrid, eliminado en Champions League, Cuadrado anotó con Juventus
- Peso pierde y dólar se vende hasta en 19.15
- PRD pide investigar a Varela por donaciones de Odebrecht al Partido Panameñista
- Bayern Munich fans throw fake money at Neymar
- Griezmann, el mejor futbolista francés del 2016
- Ryan Reynolds será Pikachu en la película 'Detective Pikachu'
- SRE: México cree en puentes, no en muros