Texas Democrat Al Green introduced two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump in the House earlier today, and while 364 representatives voted to kill the resolution, 58 Democrats voted to proceed.
Democratic Congresswoman Linda Sanchez said in the last 320 days, Trump's actions have angered millions of Americans and raised very serious questions about his fitness to serve in office. The vast majority of Democrats joined with Republicans in voting to table it in the GOP-led House.
House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) implored Green and others in the party to shelve the idea.
"Their time would be better spent focusing on tax relief for American families and businesses, and working to fund our troops and veterans through the holiday season rather than threaten a government shutdown".
It is vital, however, that we distinguish impeachable offenses from offensive behavior, divisive political instincts, ineptitude, and poor judgment. Instead, he argues that Trump has "brought disrepute, contempt, ridicule and disgrace on the presidency" and "sown discord among the people of the United States".
"Therefore, Donald John Trump by causing such harm to the society of the United States is unfit to be President and warrants impeachment, trial, and removal from office", the resolution concludes.
We are a long way from having the votes in Congress to impeach, a vote that must happen on a bipartisan basis.
"I am absolutely convinced that this is a road worth traveling", Green said in his floor speech on Wednesday.
Al Green's plan is not supported by Democratic leaders, according to CNN.
Green's articles of impeachment do not allege Trump has specifically committed a crime. "Right now, Congressional committees continue to be deeply engaged in investigations into the President's actions both before and after his inauguration".
"Any discussion of impeachment before the completion of Robert Mueller's investigation is premature and not in the best interest of our nation", Correa said. "This is a serious thing".
"Practically and politically, I think most of us can agree that passing articles of impeachment in this House isn't realistic at this moment in our history".
- Fake News: Media Ignoring Evidence in Claiming Trump Tweet Shows Obstruction
- Decision on Jerusalem is long overdue, says Trump in Cabinet meeting
- Manchester United target flops while fullback wanted by Chelsea thrives — Champions League
- Griezmann, el mejor futbolista francés del 2016
- Doctora del Spartak prohíbe sexo a los jugadores
- Jose Mourinho fears the worst for Manchester United in Champions League draw
- Claudia Sheinbaum entrega la delegación Tlalpan y va por la CDMX
- "El Bronco" cerca de alcanzar firmas; Zavala, lejos
- La tercera generación comienza a llegar a Pokémon GO
- Feyenoord venció a Napoli en la Champions League — Con Renato Tapia