Tesla has faced lawsuits over discrimination before. According to Bloomberg, goals of the suit include punitive damages as well as the implementation of Tesla company policies to prevent workplace racism in the future.
Vaughn began working at the Fremont factory in April, and his lawsuit alleges that supervisors and coworkers began routinely calling him the "n-word" shortly after that. He added, he complained in writing to human resources and Musk and was terminated in late October for "not having a positive attitude".
The lawsuit alleges no one from the company followed up with Vaughn about his complaint, nor did they investigate his claims.
"Part of not being a huge jerk is considering how someone might feel who is part of [a] historically less represented group", Musk wrote in the emailed memo.
Musk, in the earnings report Nov. 1 that also revealed a $619 million quarterly loss, had said the company would miss its target to be producing 5,000 Model 3s a week by year-end, and that it would probably hit that mark in March. CEO Elon Musk has called the truck "seriously next level", and said it will "blow your mind clear out of your skull and into an alternate dimension".
Three other black workers filed similar legal action earlier this year.
Vaughn's complaint also quotes allegedly features a letter from CEO Elon Musk, where he tells his employees to be "thick-skinned and accept that apology".
Vaughn's lawsuit seeks certification as a class-action, to bring in current and former African-American Tesla factory workers.
Meanwhile Tesla is struggling to get its Model 3 out of its factory.
BRENNER, ITALY - MAY 8, 2016: Tesla charging stations are located throughout EU to accommodate owners of the electric car. At least one other suit by a black worker was sent to arbitration and hasn't resulted in any updated measures. "It's somewhat akin to saying 'stop being politically correct.' When you have a diverse workforce, you need to take steps to make sure everyone feels welcome in that workforce". In the automotive world, that's not a win and the long lead time could affect the company's health long term which could impact the battery and solar panel portions of the company.
Tesla has yet to issue a statement regarding the impending lawsuit.
- Diego Turcios logra el primer oro cuscatleco en los Juegos Bolivarianos
- Amenaza vía WhatsApp: Fiscalía llega hasta el autor
- Hombre comparte espeluznantes fotos de niño fantasma que lo acecha
- Tribunal rechaza recurso de apelación contra variación coerción Díaz Rúa y Rondón
- Brennan rechaza acusación de Evo y niega "conspiración"
- Uruguay ante Austria con el regreso de Godín
- Morena exige disculpas por grito ¡eh, puto! PRI lo niega
- España y Rusia empatan en un intenso amistoso previo al Mundial 2018
- La BMV abre con una ligera baja el martes
- Declaran la deuda de Venezuela en "default parcial"