A police report obtained by Houston's KPRC details Kelley's escape from the Peak Behavioral Health Services facility in New Mexico in 2012, the same year he was charged with hitting his wife and infant step-son while in the U.S. Air Force.
According to the report, he was "attempting to carry out death threats" against "his military chain of command". Ivey says he hadn't seen Devin Kelley in person for years, but that he maintained contact through Facebook.
The U.S. armed forces are required to report dishonorable discharges and misdemeanor assault charges to the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System, that in turn would alert a firearms seller to deny purchase to any such offender. Kelley should have been prevented from purchasing firearms because he had a previous domestic violence conviction.
Kelley "suffered from mental health disorders" and had apparently been sent to the facility during his Air Force court-martial proceedings on charges of beating his wife and his stepson in 2011 and 2012, according to the police records.
The lapse has triggered an investigation by the air force and defence department.
The El Paso report notes that Kelley was committed to a mental health facility in Santa Teresa, New Mexico, but at some point escaped and was later found by police at a bus station in downtown El Paso in June 2012.
Kelley had also previously attended the First Baptist Church but was not welcomed there, Wilson County sheriff Joe Tackitt said. Deputies were called to the same house in February 2014 to investigate a domestic violence report involving Kelley and Danielle Shields, his girlfriend at the time, whom he married two months later.
"The Air Force has also requested that the Department of Defense Inspector General review records and procedures across the Department of Defense".
After the devastating and troubling shooting at a Baptist church in Texas on Sunday, investigators, who looked into the background of the shooter, revealed he had a disturbing past of domestic violence.
- EU endurece sanciones contra Cuba, restringe comercio y viajes a la isla
- Mostraron el Louvre de Abu Dabi sin abrirlo
- Counterpoint: Why You Shouldn't Buy or Upgrade to the Xbox One X
- Griezmann, el mejor futbolista francés del 2016
- Google crea una app para saber el tiempo de espera en rastaurantes
- There's bad news about the Galaxy S9 display
- Guatemaltecos bloquean carreteras y exigen la renuncia del presidente Jimmy Morales
- Presidente estadounidense Donald Trump empieza visita de Estado a China
- Trágica imagen de cría de elefante en llamas gana concurso
- Venezuela acepta las condiciones rusas para reestructurar su deuda