Israel's national soccer team faces an uncertain future after its 2018 World Cup qualification schedule mercifully came to an end on Monday night.
The Israeli FA and Jerusalem police have denied that a pitch invader arrested for approaching Real Madrid midfielder Isco was carrying a knife after local reports had claimed he dropped the blade on the field.
But after a relatively encouraging start which included three straight wins over Macedonia, Liechtenstein and Albania, following a 3-1 loss to Italy in the opener, the blue-and-white completely capitulated in the second half of its campaign.
He was immediately stopped by police, who weren't speculating on what his plans were.
There was no knife attack on Isco.
IFA Communications director Shlomi Barzel told Marca: "According to all the information we have, there is no evidence or indication that a knife was carried by anyone who ran onto the field".
The incident occurred after the final whistle at the Teddy Stadium, where Real Sociedad star Asier Illarramendi settled the match with his first international goal.
"I do not think Spain was received in a stadium outside their country with as much affection as here, especially Isco who received shouts and banners".
Israel hadn't reached a World Cup since 1970 and faced troubles with security throughout qualifying.
But, in happier news, Spain's game against Israel threw up a real blast of nostalgia for Premier League fans.
- Cómo fue que Macri terminó felicitando a Messi después del partido
- Honduras vence a México y clasifica al repechaje
- Cruz Roja Mexicana condena ataque armado a su hospital en Tlalnepantla
- "No pongo las manos en el fuego por De Vido" — Cristina
- Conoce a los países sudamericanos que van a Rusia 2018
- Renato Tapia reveló la conversación secreta que tuvo con Radamel Falcao
- Tribunal Superior de Bogotá avaló principio de oportunidad para exgobernador Alejandro Lyons
- Mirá el tráiler de la nueva temporada de The X-Files
- Nueve personas detenidas por caso Cadivi-Cencoex — Fiscal General
- Una alcaldesa cae por homicidio en Michoacán