At least 18 deaths in the U.S. have been blamed on the storm.
Irma's maximum sustained wind speed of 185 mph made it the strongest storm that's ever existed in the Atlantic outside the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.
"I have classes and I have work and stuff", said college student Alexandra Olson, who will be returning to Gainesville.
"We got a flight to Jacksonville and I've been trying to find people to pick me up", she said.
However, swells which are being generated by both Jose and Irma will continue to affect the East Coast as well as Northeast Caribbean Islands which will result in high surf and rip currents throughout this week.
Some regions of the Keys were impacted more than others and damage at Keys accommodations' facilities varies from no impacts, except for landscaping, to severe damage because of storm surge.
About 310,000 of Tampa Electric's 700,000 customers were estimated to have lost power in the wake of Irma, president and CEO Gordon Gillette told CNBC Monday. It was one of four hurricanes to hit the Sunshine State that year. It brought in additional crews from EMC in other states, with crews coming from as far as Illinois, Iowa, and Oklahoma. The county's emergency management director, Bryan Koon, is calling the storm a possible "humanitarian crisis".
While the Florida Keys took a direct hit, and while the rest of the state saw plenty of damage, Florida was shown some mercy with the winds somewhat diminished before landfall.
- Se debilita 'Irma', suma 6 muertos
- White Sox Announce 2018 Regular Season Schedule
- Griezmann, el mejor futbolista francés del 2016
- The 2018 MLB Season Will Have the Earliest Opening Day Ever
- Huracán Irma deja más de 5.500 evacuados en R. Dominicana
- Ventana de transferencia de enero: Real Madrid y Barcelona
- Barcelona vs Juventus 12 September 2017: UCL Preview and Predictions
- These Are The 6 Apple iPhone X Features You Will Actually Use
- Manchester City visita al Feyenoord por la Champions League
- Justicia de Ecuador ordena prisión de empresario vinculado en caso Odebrecht