But he does a job for Ferrari and, with no obvious better option for that support role, retaining him makes sense for a team with an inherently conservative approach to the driver market.
Vettel, 30, is out of contract at Ferrari at the end of the year.
Although Romain Grosjean and Haas have proven to be a match made in heaven, the Frenchman was one of the names linked to a seat with Ferrari next season. He has yet to win a race since returning to Ferrari, finishing on the podium 11 times in 70 races over the past four years.
Haas enjoys a close relationship with the Italian manufacturer, and it was plausible that it could further that relationship by loaning Grosjean to Ferrari in exchange for a discount on their power units.
Speaking about the potential for a future deal with Raikkonen at the time, Marchionne had said: "I think Kimi has got to show a higher level of commitment to the process".
Raikkonen has enjoyed two spells at Ferrari during his career, including the one that secured him his world championship title in 2007. Finnish newspaper Ilta Sanomat has since reported that the delay is because he only wants a one-year deal. With Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen locked into at least one more year each with Red Bull, the top three teams should look exactly the same come the season opener next year.
Vettel, who won the last grand prix in Hungary before the summer break, leads Raikkonen by 86 points in the drivers' championship, while his gap to second-place Hamilton extended to 14 points ahead of this weekend's Belgian Grand Prix.
- 'American Horror Story' estrenó el 'opening' de la nueva temporada titulada 'Cult'
- Matteo Trentin gana la etapa 4 — Vuelta a España
- Cruz Azul acepta castigo de Paco Jémez por seña
- Así se vio desde el espacio
- La historia real detrás de Molly’s Game
- Ventana de transferencia de enero: Real Madrid y Barcelona
- Regresan a clases más de 25 millones de estudiantes
- Griezmann, el mejor futbolista francés del 2016
- Miguel Herrera no arreglaría el problema con Martinoli
- Cohete sacude zona diplomática en Kabul