Cory Gardner was joined by several Colorado politicians in saying the hate had no place in this country.
But the president did not attack the white nationalists groups that organized the initial rally over the removal of a Confederate general's statute from a Charlottesville park. Counter-protesters, including members of Black Lives Matter, showed up and things quickly turned violent.
The events in VA are contrary to all we stand for as a country.
He also tweeted condolences to the three killed in the riots.
Trump, as a candidate, frequently came under scrutiny for being slow to offer his condemnation of white supremacists.
A Republican senator from Colorado, Cory Gardner, tweeted "Mr. President - we must call evil by its name".
"President Trump condemned the violence at a white supremacist rally in Virginia Saturday and called for a "swift restoration of law and order".
"Praying for those hurt & killed today in Charlottesville". His chief strategist, Steve Bannon, once declared that his former news site, Breitbart, was "the platform for the alt-right".
Hancock also issued another tweet that stated: "My heart wrenches for VA & I pray for the safety of all in #Charlottesville during these horrific turn of events".
White supremacists and neo-Nazis are, by definition, opposed to American patriotism and the ideals that define us as a people and make our nation special. Other Republican leaders also denounced white supremacy, joining Gardner in going further than the president's comments on the matter.
For context, keep in mind that these are not back-bench Republicans.
These tweets come around the same time as Trump took to Twitter to denounce the attacks.
"We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for", he wrote on his personal Twitter account. "It has no place in America".
Trump earlier on Saturday had not specifically criticized the white nationalist rally and its neo-Nazi slogans.
"We have to come together with love for our nation and true affection for each other", the president said.
- Gobernador de Guam pide a población "estar preparada" ante amenaza norcoreana
- Arreaza denuncia amenazas antivenezolanas de Trump
- Ve Nuño "muy positivo" el retiro de candados para aspirantes del PRI
- Congelan cuentas de Rafa Márquez y Julión Álvarez
- Inicia mañana aumento en tarifa del Transporte Público
- Pedro Pablo Kuczynski pide a Maduro dejar el poder en Venezuela
- Fatal chopper crash linked to white nationalist rally
- María Eugenia Vidal respondió furiosa a los cuestionamientos de Brancatelli al gobierno
- President Trump blames 'many sides' for Charlottesville unrest
- Griezmann, el mejor futbolista francés del 2016