According to The Guardian, however, Liverpool rejected yet another bid for Coutinho, an offer of around £90 million (R1.5 billion) on Wednesday.
The Brazil global emailed a transfer request yesterday to Liverpool's sporting director, Michael Edwards, in direct response to a statement from the club's owner, Fenway Sports Group, that he will not be sold this summer.
Coutinho has emerged as a top target for Barca as they look to replace Neymar, following his €222million switch to Paris Saint-Germain.
And the German boss, speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of Liverpool's 2017/18 Premier League season opener away to Watford on Saturday, said: "I think if somebody, in this case FSG, is saying something like this it is the statement".
This development is something Liverpool have dreaded all summer and the timing, ahead of two games of huge importance, could not be worse for the club.
"Philippe has tried very hard to find an amicable solution to this situation but to no avail", the statement read.
Previous reports from Spain had claimed the blaugrana would have been ready to offer huge cash plus the likes of Rafinha or Andre Gomes in exchange for the services of Coutinho and Juventus from Italy had been keeping a close eye on the developments of negoations.
Coutinho, who was Liverpool's leading scorer with 14 goals in all competitions last season, signed a new five-year deal in January.
And, sometimes, the less said the better - unfortunately, he's not our only problem right now.
Jürgen Klopp has also insisted the Selecao superstar is not for sale, while the player has reportedly behaved impeccably amid the speculation.
"Phil is not available for us and that for me is the bigger issue", Klopp said.
- BMV cierra la semana en rojo — MÉXICO
- Isco permanecerá en el Madrid
- Franklin tocará suelo mexicano convertido en huracán
- Tormenta Franklin se debilita a remanente; continuarán tormentas muy fuertes
- Sheyla Rojas confirmó su relación con empresario de peculiar forma
- Niñeras encierran a bebé en un refrigerador
- México asciende en ranking FIFA tras fracaso
- White House Trying to Water down Trump's 'Fire and Fury' Warning
- El mes pasado fue detenido el 'Tío' de Rafa y Julión
- El dólar abrió estable a $18,01