"Two years ago I lost in the final against Serena and she told me I would win one day".
She added: "I feel incredible to be able to play her here". I guess (him and Martinez) is a combination.' Speaking about what if feels like to be in the first positions of the rankings and winning Major titles, Muguruza replied: 'I've been No.2 and No.3, and I felt how it is to win a Grand Slam and there is no comparison.
Venus Williams still looks up to her sister, Serena Williams. "Well done today, beautiful", Williams said. But she "carved out a tight first set and then drove home the advantage in the second by finding a potent mix of aggression and resolute defence". It was also her first appearance in the final since 2009.
She broke twice more and sealed the title after a successful Hawkeye challenge of a Williams forehand that fell just beyond the baseline. "I believe I can do that".
Serena Williams, the tournament's defending champion, is on pregnancy hiatus and due to give birth to her first child in the fall.
Venus Williams had a chance to become the oldest woman to win a Wimbledon title in the Open Era, which began in 1968.
As tensions rose, so too did the quality with Muguruza seizing the opening set after 51 minutes. Venus has won it five times before! "I don't know. Finally a Spanish girl can play on grass".
Despite the loss, Williams was all smiles during the award presentation.
Meanwhile, Williams has no reason to hang her head.
Williams, playing in her 20th Wimbledon, finished with 25 unforced errors - 14 more than Muguruza.
Muguruza fought back from a set down to beat world number one Angelique Kerber in the last 16, and reached her second Wimbledon final by beating Magdalena Rybarikova in a one-sided semi-final.
After that win she had been tipped for great things, says Charlie Eccleshare in the Daily Telegraph. 'There's definitely something for me to learn from this'.
- Griezmann, el mejor futbolista francés del 2016
- El Sevilla ya tiene sustituto para Vitolo: hay acuerdo con Nolito
- Lucas Biglia y un error imperdonable al estilo de Higuaín
- Estados Unidos anuncia 'refuerzos'para cuartos de Copa Oro
- Las impresionantes imágenes de Plutón que reveló la Nasa — COLOMBIA
- Ventana de transferencia de enero: Real Madrid y Barcelona
- Se registra incendio en edificio frente a las instalaciones de Corferias
- La historia real detrás de Molly’s Game
- Macron pidió a Netanyahu reanude tratativas de paz — Francia
- Gustavo Fernández, subcampeón en Wimbledon