He broke his left kneecap and suffered a blow to the ribs as well as cuts in the fall.
Valverde successfully underwent surgery at Dusseldorf's University Hospital to fix some of the injuries sustained in his race-ending crash, Movistar said in a statement.
Stefan Kung finished five seconds behind the Welshman, while Vasil Kiryienka and Martin Tony finished second and third respectively.
However, Garcia added that the team remain fully focused in helping Valverde's team-mate Nairo Quintana reach Paris with the yellow jersey.
Things get considerably tougher on stage two as the riders cross from Germany into Belgium on a 203.5km route from Dusseldorf to Liege.
Eurosport is the home of the Tour de France. It's been a long time coming and it's just an amazing feeling.
"I've got a tendency to go about a bit hard but I'm getting older now and I'm learning my lessons, and today couldn't have gone any better". "Froome will come here with the best form he can have".
Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) is out of the Tour de France after suffering a suspected broken knee cap in a crash in the opening time trial.
Valverde was not only rider to fall in the wet conditions as Primoz Roglic, Rick Zabel and George Bennett also crashed.
Froome's Sky teammate Geraint Thomas held on to the leader's yellow jersey. "He is always the number one rival".
The victory will be extra sweet for Thomas, who was given the chance to lead Sky in the first grand tour of the year but saw his dream of winning the Giro ended by a freak crash caused by a police motorbike at the end of the first week.
- Santos aplasta a Chivas en su primer partido de pretemporada
- Berlocq fue eliminado de Wimbledon
- Korina Rivadeneira se rehúsa a dejar el Perú por la fuerza
- José Mourinho frustrated at lack of Manchester United summer signings
- "Descubrí el sexo oral en la serie" — Sophie Turne
- Exige hijo de Samuel Malpica avances en caso de su padre
- Un colectivero llevó colgado a un pasajero de la puerta varias cuadras
- Trump mantiene una conversación telefónica con Shinzo Abe
- Inicia la venta legal de marihuana recreativa en Nevada, EE.UU
- Combatimos la naturalización de la muerte de un policía